Starting Monday, April 1, Jasper residents can purchase permits to collect FireSmart firewood from designated locations.
How it works:
• Go to the Emergency Services Building (new fire hall, 518 Geikie Street) in person between 1:00pm and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, to purchase a Firewood Collection Permit from the Jasper Fire Department.
• Permits cost $10 (cash only) and are valid for two weeks from the date of purchase.
• You may collect firewood from designated sites only. Taking wood from anywhere other than a designated collection site is a contravention of the National Parks Act. Locations will be provided when you pick up your permit.
• Please store your firewood in a FireSmart way, as far away as possible from any buildings or structures (10 meters is the FireSmart Canada guideline).
• Firewood is available only to Jasper residents and it must stay in the Jasper townsite.
• Firewood and logs cannot be sold, traded or bartered.
• Logs will be of varying sizes. Cutting or splitting wood on-site is prohibited.
• Be prepared to show your permit to Park Wardens or Bylaw Enforcement Officers.
Questions? Contact Greg Van Tighem at 780-931-0075.