Main content of the website


DID YOU KNOW?  Newcomers to Canada have access to free English and French language learning and Language proficiency assessments through the settlement programming provided by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). Learn more about these opportunities in the short video below: 

English Language Assessment 

Most recognized English language programs follow the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). The CLB are used to assess language skills in Canada. A person at benchmark 1 has little or no English skills. A person at benchmark 12 can speak English fluently.

In general, you need a CLB 4 for daily living.

CLB 5 to 8 is usually needed to work in Alberta.

CLB 6 to 9 or higher is needed to study in Alberta.

To find out your CLB level:

  • Take a free Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) Self-Assessment online. This will give you an idea of your current CLB level.
  • Complete an official CLB assessment at one of the following language assessment and referral centers. This is free to permanent residents and citizens of Canada.

Contact Jasper Settlement Services for an official CLB assessment at 

English & French Language Learning in Jasper

There are a few places in Jasper that offer in person classes and resources for both English and French language learning: 

The Jasper Employment and Education Centre (JEEC) offers a variety of English language learning opportunities for adults, including free drop in programs and low cost courses. Most classes focus on practical skills such as English for the workplace, conversation, reading and writing and preparation for language proficiency exams such as CELPIP or IELTS. 

Jasper Municipal Library have a great selection of books, audio and online language learning resources for both English & French language learning available with a free library membership. 

Looking to learn English with materials printed in your native language? Ask our librarians for help!

L’Association Canadienne Française de Jasper (ACFA) offers in person French language courses for beginner and Intermediate learners. Intake for these courses is usually advertised in the fall (September- November) and winter (February). 

Translation Services

Jasper Settlement Services has access to resources for translation services. 

If you find yourself in a situation where you need one-on-one translation; for example, a doctor appointment, meeting with a school, signing bank documents, etc. you can get help through Settlement Services.  

Contact settlement for more information: 

Volunteer as a translator:
If you would like to volunteer as a translator, Settlement Services would love to hear from you. Please contact Settlement Services, and let them know you can help fellow newcomers with their translation needs.