We hope the information below helps Ukrainians arriving in Canada and Jasper.
Information on this page:
- Arriving in Canada
- Support for Ukrainians in Jasper
- Support for Ukrainians in Alberta
- Immigration Information and Resources
- Alberta Advantage Immigration Program
The country of Ukraine was invaded in February 2022. The war is forcing Ukrainians to flee their country to somewhere safe. The Canadian government is helping Ukrainians come to Canada.
- Ukrainians can come to Canada through the Canadian-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET).
- The CUAET is a special temporary residence visa program for Ukrainians seeking safety in Canada.
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents can apply to sponsor Ukrainian relatives. These applications are being prioritized.
Arriving in Canada
Ukrainians arriving at the Edmonton International Airport are met by the Canadian Red Cross. They provide reception, registration and translation services.
Below are links to Welcome Packages for Ukrainians. They include information and resources.
- Welcome Package – Ukrainian
- Welcome Package - Russian
- Welcome Package – English
- Welcome Package - French
Current Public Health Information for Ukrainian Newcomers:
- Negative COVID-19 test not needed upon arrival
- Unvaccinated travelers can travel freely
- Exempt from ArriveCan requirements
- Health assessments are being offered at ports of entry to address urgent concerns
- Support is available at ports of entry to explain and help with federal quarantine requirements
Support for Ukrainians in Alberta
The following guide outlines the programs and supports to help Ukrainians in Alberta, which you can access here:
Information Guide for Ukrainians in Alberta
Читати цю інформацію українською мовою
With this guide, you can find out:
- how to access settlement services,
- enroll children into school and childcare,
- find a job,
- get your credentials accepted,
- get a driver’s license or identification (ID) card,
- access the health care system,
- set up banking and finances
Support for Ukrainians in Jasper
Jasper Settlement Services provide free support to refugees, permanent residents and newcomers. This service helps newcomers settle and adjust to life in Jasper.
- Jasper Employment & Education Centre can help with resumes or finding a job. They also offer many training and education classes.
- Alberta Supports Centres provide employment programs and services across Alberta, including job fairs, workshops and information sessions.
- Alis provides career, learning and employment information for Albertans.
- Immigrant-serving agencies offer services to newcomers, including help with finding a job.
- The Government of Canada’s Job Bank has a list of current jobs in Alberta. To cut down on your job search time, find the jobs that match your skills and experience through Job Match.
- Job postings for the Municipality of Jasper
General Jasper information and resources
The New to Jasper Information and Resources page provides information on how to settle in Jasper.
You can learn about:
- Everyday Basics
- Education and Training
- Banking and Documents
- Mental Health Resources
Immigration Information and Resources
An unlimited number of Ukrainians can come to Canada. The CUAET is a special visa program. It speeds up the migration process for Ukrainians. You can work, study and stay in Canada until it is safe to go home under the CUAET.
General Information about the CUAET:
- You can apply for a temporary visitor visa, allowing you to stay in Canada for up to 3 years.
- Visa applications will be processed on a priority basis. Expect a processing time of 14 days.
- Application fees and requirements of a typical visa application have been removed. You still need to have a security screening.
- Applicants can apply for a fee-exempt 3-year open work permit or study permit at the same time.
- Ukrainians already living in Canada can apply for CUAET to extend existing visas. Work and study permits may be extended for three more years.
Are you a Canadian Citizens or permanent resident with relatives in the Ukraine? You can apply to sponsor them to come to Canada permanently.
For more information on CUAET or sponsoring relatives from Ukraine, visit the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website: Immigration measures for people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine - Canada.ca
Ukraine Immigration Help Desk
Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have opened a Help Desk for Ukraine immigration questions. Your immigration related questions will be prioritized.
- Call the Help Desk directly at 613-321-4243. Collect calls are accepted.
- Use the web form and add the keyword “Ukraine2022". Your form will be prioritized.
Alberta Advantage Immigration Program
Ukrainians can apply for permanent residency through the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP). Applicants must meet program criteria.
There are no AAIP fees for Ukrainian applicants.